Thursday, April 1

Cast into Darkness


Many people look at the return of Daylight Savings Time as an opportunity to go for long rides on their bikes after work each day. Those with long commutes, that have to arrive for work early, on the other hand, find themselves cast into darkness. Long-distance commuters get to revisit the dark days of December. Unlike the descent into winter, the change is sudden, and a shock akin to the decision to jump into a swimming pool when the water is known to be chilly. This year it seemed worse to me, perhaps because my commute requires me to leave home about 10-15 minutes earlier than the commute I made at this time last year.

Seven Eleven. Today, it wasn’t a major convenience store chain; it was the official moment of dawn, as in AM. It was also just about the time I came over the last ridge on my way to work. Still, with record heat, and knowing that the days will soon bring natural light back to the morning commute, things are looking up. It wasn’t QUITE tank top weather this morning, but it was close, and it’s really nice not having my water bottle accumulate ice. Soon, the buffalo will have their new calves. THEY are the sign that spring has sprung!

5 comments:

Oldfool said...

Yes, you're right. I'm surprise to find another that pays attention to the Buffalo. When I thought I was a Native American I paid a lot of attention to such things.As it is I'm only native for about 300 or so years. But I love the buffalo(bison) and somehow feel a kinship.

Doohickie said...

I'm from Buffalo, NY, which has nothing to do with anything.

Call me strange, but since I got my better headlight that enables me to actually see the road ahead in the darkness, it really doesn't bother me to ride in the dark. The only weird part is that I arrive at the office in darkness (usually around 6:45, give or take), go to the locker room (which is its own building) and take a shower, and by the time I walk out it has changed from utter blackness (with a hint of dawn to the east) to full daylight.

Steve A said...

I <:} the buffalo. They really pay attention to a passing cyclist that blows kisses at them as well. It makes me glad there is a fence between us, just to be safe.

Darkness in itself doesn't bother me. Long, accumulated time in darkness starts to bother me, particularly if I've read a lot of Chandra high vis stuff and compare it with my own basic black. My "flamethrower" will show the road. It's the one that keeps busting its brackets.

Almost as bothersome as the dark itself, is the long wait for headlights far behind to catch up and, then, move left to pass. Sometimes it seems like it takes ten minutes. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but I like it better when my motorists and I interact more personally. Maybe I ought to just wave to the overtaking motorist on general purposes, but it's hard to think of a wave that might not be mistaken.

GreenComotion said...

Steve,
I have to see these buffalo. I just have to.
You know crazily enough, I find it comforting to ride at night with my tinted glasses on. My eyes somehow have gotten used to the darkness. I am okay with the darkness as long as I am not riding super fast.
Peace :)

Big Oak said...

Indiana just went back to daylight savings after 30+ years on "fixed" time. Up until a couple years ago, we never changed the clocks in spring or fall. Now I ride to work in darkness also.

I am ashamed to say that having American Indian heritage (my great-grandmother was Lakota), I am not tuned in to buffalo calving schedules. But you are right. The white calves (very, very rare) are sacred.

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!